Ministry of Education and Science
Goals and objectives of the Ministry of Education and Science:
- to implement the national system of formal and non-formal education which secures social attitudes in favour of education and creates conditions for lifelong learning in a changing democratic society;
- to implement the state policy of science and studies in accordance with the Law on Science and Studies and other legal acts; to coordinate the activity of Lithuanian institutions of science and studies, etc.
In order to implement the assigned tasks, the Ministry:
- develops one-year and long-term educational investment programmes,
- approves requirements for the regulations of state-run and municipal schools;
- approves the general curriculum content of formal education, and achievement levels;
- organizes and coordinates the accreditation of the secondary education programme;
- approves the procedure of consecutive learning under general education programmes and the procedure for organization and implementation of matura exams;
- establishes, liquidates, and reorganizes vocational schools and approves general vocational education plans.